1 (edited by Derrick 2013-05-25 12:43:51)

Topic: Are all carbs bad?

If you want to stay healthy is eating carbs bad? should you avoid all "white" food at all costs like bread and sugar and what not? or do you need this for energy? Im confused as too what i need to eat to stay healthy :)

Re: Are all carbs bad?

No not all carbs are bad for you.. carbs give you energy.. the problems come when you use up less energy than you eat... its abit like how not all fats are bad for you and in fact some forms of fat are needed in a healthy balanced diet. :)

I hope carbs aren't bad because then id have the worst diet ever... actually i think carbs are okay just like everything else in moderation.... a balanced diet is key!

Carbs are good its too much sugar that is bad

5 (edited by Doc 2013-05-27 16:51:07)

Its all about what the food is and what else is in it. Some carb foods are good for you like ones with lots of fiber in them that are actually slowly digested by your body. Carbs that are quickly digested by your body will mean you feel hungry again much sooner.
**Good carbs prevent spikes in blood sugar level which is good....

Even some vegetables have carbs in them.. bean and also whole grain have carbs in them too and you wouldn't say they where unhealthy foods would you?

The bad carbs are the ones that are processed and refined like white bread and white rice these have no other nutrition in them and are quickly digested.

It has also been said that people should get around 60% of their nutrition from carbs too so if carbs where bad why would experts say this?

To know whether a food is part of the good carbs group or bad carb group it is recommended that you look at the fiber content of the food. Fiber is essential even though the body doesn't actually absorb any fiber fiber has got its uses in digestion of food as fiber will actually slow down the body's digestion of the food and like i said above this prevents spikes in blood sugar levels and makes you feel fuller for longer. I also heard that fiber in diet helps low cholesterol as well!!

Refined carbs like white bread and white rice have no fiber in them and eating foods high in nothing but sugar causes spikes in blood sugar levels, this is also bad because this causes the release of insulin into your body and insulin is the fat storage hormone.

Well that my view on carbs for you.. it depends!

Im not really a doc its just my name...